Sunday 24 October 2010

Girls, girls, girls.

I’ve been single now for quite a while. To be quite honest it never really bothered me. In fact I was quite happily single. Able do to what I wanted, when I wanted, without recourse has its benefits. After time, when friends are getting married, and couples nights are the standard I started to feel a little lonely. I just missed someone to do normal things with, weekend breaks, going out for dinner or staying in to watch a film. At the start of this year I made it a goal to make more effort to get out and meet someone.

Obviously there were a few flaws with this goal. One, i’ve been quite ill, and so going out drinking wasn’t right at the top of my ‘to-do’ list. This has also meant i’ve put on weight, and with that confidence slides. I’m trying to do something about that now, but it takes time. Two, with me taking the year off work through poor health i’ve been playing poker more than anything else. Needless to say card rooms aren’t really the best destination to meet girls.


The last five girls’ I’ve been out with I met all of them through work. Generally i’ve always got to know girls before anything happens, and not working means that I’m not going to meet anyone that way for the time being. So where do you go to find people? I live in one of the biggest cities in the world, so it shouldn’t be so hard. I know several friends through poker who are in the same boat. Maybe someone should organise a ‘London Poker Singles night’, obviously there’d be more male applicants than female so wouldn't work.


I’ve been out on a few dates this year. All bar one were pretty dull, and I had no interest in seeing them again. The one who I did quite like, didn’t feel the same. Typical. The trouble is I’m picky. That’s certainly not always been the case, but it has been for a while. If I don't 'fancy' someone, then I don't make the effort in the first place, which is pretty poor. I would say that when i’m at my normal weight (and it’s been a while!) i’m pretty good looking, certainly no Brad Pitt, but definitely not ugly. I’m relatively shy when I don’t know a person, which never really helps. Of course being low on confidence over all means I probably don’t exude the glow which would attract girls anyway. A positive attitude is needed!


So where am I now? Nowhere really is the answer! There are a couple of girls i’ve been chatting too who I quite like. One from my local card room and another an old work colleague. I’m not sure if either will go anywhere, but you never know...


Making more effort is the answer. Get in shape, improved health and make the effort to go out and meet people. Then a year from now, i’ll be blogging that the grass wasn’t greener in the first place!


Applications close a fair few years from now.

No comments:

Sky